it started as a personal dream of getting pledges for good deeds. it continues now as inspiring acts that we hear about to help others in their own hopes ... no matter how big or small the deed ... or the dream.

Friday, July 28, 2006

for love of KNN


i have the honor of working with some of the best people in Manila, as well as the Philippines. They're mostly underaged individuals who walk around with their carefree ways and wide-eyed wonder, laughing their way through most tasks and supporting each other with clarion calls of "that's so GREEEEAAAAT","go na ito!" and "keri na yung churva na yan".

Kabataan News Network (KNN) is a weekly TV magazine show produced by the youth, for the youth. Yup, the kiddos do everything from proposing a story, to shooting, transcribing and scripting. And believe me, it's even much more impressive than it sounds. In my one year of working with them, we've covered all kinds, forms and shapes of stories -- from heavy-juvenile justice, pagpag kids; to light and fluffy teen magazines and cheerleading. As Bureau Manager, I mostly facilitate in the process and guide them in their formation.

These kids have shown me depth & width of soul & character that are sometimes lost in older people. I am especially touched because some of them insisted on being part of my dream despite my persistence that i'm not accepting their allowance (hint, hint, hanna). But oh well, they found a way, and their generosity reminds me of the parable of the poor woman who gave Jesus all that she had (not that i am in any way comparing myself to messianic figures but you get the gist...). Anyway, kakatouch. So, no deed request, but am writing this for them.

I'd like to think that I was able to share some of my knowledge and, dare I say, wisdom with the youth reporters --- from "this is how to frame your interviewee" to "choose a course that will bring you to the life you want 50 years from now, and if you change your mind somewhere along the way, that's OK, too". But I'd like to share some things that I learned from them as well...

1. Be punctual. Ahehe. In my defense, I'm never late for actual shoots.

2. At one point, you really have to leave it to your faith in God. This is not in response to production problems, but rather to their own personal challenges in life. Tragedies, after all, occur regardless of age. And what some of these young people have gone through makes me wish that I could be just as strong in my own faith.

3. There must always be time for chikahan and kamustahan. Just as important as getting the job done is getting the job done with as much laughter, harmony and happiness as possible.

4. "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart"-r.fulghum. I've worked with younger people a lot, but for some reason, I've only really felt the power & gravity of words with this group. They are so trusting that they sometimes wear their hearts on their sleeves and it makes me want to protect them from the big bad world.

Pero ika nga ng iba, I should learn to let go and stop mothering them (hehe). So I will end this by saying that I have loved being part of KNN, and am honored that I was part of the lives of these young & wonderful people. Watch out for them, if my instincts are right, they will soon take on the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the pictures are great ate. where did you get them? hehe.. hay, eto nanaman.. (tears..) by the way, may hangover pa ako ng shoot kanina, kaya emotional pa ang lola.. hehe.. (i'll find time to make a blog as well- may nakakatouch kasi na churva)love ko yun..

5:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home